Dr. Joplin Hek
"Lumsohphoh Nongthymmai Shillong 793014"
M.A , PhD , NET
Qualifications: M.A., N.E.T., Ph.D.
Areas of Interest/Specialization: Political Theory and Issues in Women Studies.
Experience: Teaching in Synod College since August 2016.
Academic/Administrative Responsibilities in Synod College
- Member of the Sports committee from 2018-2021.
- Member of the Discipline and Cleanliness Committee from 2020-2022.
Publications in Journals & Proceedings:
- “Conceptualising Women and Political Power In Matriliny”, in Proceeding of North East India History Association, Twenty Eight Session, Shillong: Modern Offset, 2007,pp. 94-104.
- “Local Self Government in Meghalaya: An Analysis of the Lumsohphoh Nongthymmai Dorbar”, in Proceeding of North East India History Association, Thirty Second Session, Shillong: Modern Offset , 2011,pp.590-597.
- “Youth Activism and Politics: A Historical Overview”, in C.R Lyngdoh, and A.W.Rani (eds.), The Political Anvil: A Journal of the Department of Political Science, Synod College Shillong, Volume 1, Number 1, December 2012,ISSN Number 2319-7528, pp.96-109.
- “Youth Activism: Role of the Khasi Student Union Towards the issue of Uranium mining in Meghalaya”, in Adila Mawlong, Saji Varghese, Fenella A Wahlang, R.J Nongrum, W. Khyriem, N.Mahongnao,B.Lahiri, S.syngkon, B.Sangma, J.Dkhar, R.Baruah,I.Warjri (eds.), Keanean Journal of Arts: An Annual Arts journal of Lady Keane College, Volume 1, Shillong: Internal Quality Assurance Cell, Lady Keane College, 2014, ISSN number 2348-1110,pp.67-74.
1. Political Parties and Pressure Groups (Unit 5), Identity Question and Problems of Insurgency (Unit 6), in Government and Politics in North East India with special reference to Arunachal Pradesh, M.A 1st Semester, Rajiv Gandhi University, Vikas Publishing House Private Limited, New Delhi, 2013, ISBN 978-93-259-7456-2.
2. Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council and its role in Land and Land Holding in Meghalaya, in Jangkhongam Doungel (Ed.), Autonomy Movements and the Sixth Schedule in North East India, Spectrum Publication, Guwahati, 2016, ISBN 978-81-8344-080-6.
3. Women’s Participation in Democratic Societies: An Analysis of the Changing Dynamics of the Hima Khyrim Dorbar in the 21st Century, in David Kharchandy, Celebrating India @75, Winshield Publication Press New Delhi, 2021 ISBN 13: 978:9382120-29-2(HB).
- Presented a joint paper entitled, “Conceptualising Women and Political Power In Matriliny” with Professor A.K Baruah at the North East India History Association at Goalpara College Assam on the 3rd November 2007.
- Presented a paper entitled, Local Self Government in Meghalaya: an Analysis of the Working of the Lumsohphoh Nongthymmai Dorbar, at the North-East India History Association organised by Tripura University on November 2011.
- Presented a paper entitled, Local Self Government In Meghalaya: An Analysis Of The Working Of The Urban Dorbar, at the 54th Indian Political Science Conference, University of Lucknow, Lucknow from the 28th to 30th December 2011.
- Presented a paper entitled, Role of the Khasi Students Union: Uranium mining and its stand, National Seminar on “ Politics of Environment” organised by the Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC),Lady Keane College Shillong, on the 21st and 22nd of November 2013.
- Presented a paper entitled, Local Self government in Meghalaya: An Analysis of the Power of the Traditional dorbar in Modern Democracy organised by the Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), Synod College Shillong on the 23rd of June 2014.
- Presented a paper entitled, An Analysis on the Politics of Youth Consciousness in Meghalaya in the Webinar on “ A Retrospection into Meghalaya’s 50 years journey of Statehood”, organised by the Centre for Historical Research Synod College, on the 21st and 22nd of October 2021 .
- Attended an Orientation Program organised by HRDC North Eastern Hill University Shillong from the 3rd January to the 3rd of February.2018
- Participated in the Faculty Developmental Program organised by the IQAC Synod College on the topic, “Virtual Classroom, The New Reality Opportunities and Challenges”, on the 20 th November 2020.
- Participated in a Webinar organised the Department of Political Science ,B.Boroah College Assam on the topic “ Post Covid World Politics New Order or Disorder?”. On the 30th of July 2020.
- Participated in a national Webinar organised by the Department of English Donbosco Tura, on the topic, Sajinma Sajop(Pandemic) Covid-19 and Culture, on the 17 th August 2020.
- Participated in a Webinar organised by EGROW foundation, Gujarat on the topic “Religion and Rise of Capitalism”, on the 12 th of March 2021.
- Participated in the 2nd Series of Lectures organised online by the Center for Historical Research Synod College on “ Revisting the Hill State Movements in Meghalaya from the Perspectives of Gender History” on the 23rd of April 2021.