- Head Of Department
Department of English
The Department of English was founded in 1965, the same year the college was established and is therefore one of the oldest Departments in the college. We as a Department have grown from strength to strength along with the College and English as an honours course was offered from 1976 onwards as the College became a fully-fledged Day College. The Department’s humble beginnings the Principal of the college inand was soon followed by (L)Dr. M. Dutt. Others whose contribution to the Department cannot be forgotten include: Mrs. Pamela M. Roy Lyngskor, Ms. Eva D. War, Mr. Daminot J. Wankhar, Ms. Lira Neog, Ms. Tirzah Kengoo, Prof. Esther Syiem, Ms. Arundhoti Dutta, Ms. Sujata Guru Dev, Mrs. Dolly N. Kharlukhi and (L) P.G. Marbaniang. The Department currently has six permanent faculty members and has a total under-graduate strengthof around 200 honours students. The under-graduate course that the Department teaches is in line with the syllabus that has been prescribed by NEHU and deals with the History of English Literature from its early roots to its current manifestations in national literatures that have adopted the English language as a medium of cultural expression. Poetry, Fiction and Drama are all tackled in the course and the Department seeks to impart the importance of literature as a discipline to the students with the objective of helping the students to adopt a healthy curiosity for the world around them and develop critical thinking in individuals. The Department also teaches the BA, BSc, BCom. and B.C.A. streams of the undergraduate level.
|Date of Joining
|Dr. Gayreen Lyngdoh
|Badakynti Nylla Iangngap
|Dr. Mankhrawbor Dunai
|Dr. Persara Lyngdoh
|Dr. Ehboklang Pyngrope
- The Department of English had organised a two-day Literary Festival for the English Honours students on the 4th and 5th of August 2022.
- The Dept. of English, Synod College had organized its annual orientation programme on ‘Research and Academic writing, B.A. level’, for Semester I on 24th August, 2022
- The Dept of English Organised a Book Reading programme/event with Lhutu Keyho author of "Fathers and Daughters" on the 28th October 2022.
- The Department of English organised a Special Lecture on the 10th of November, 2022 in the college auditorium. The resource person was Professor Desmond Kharmawphlang, Professor Folkloristics Department, NEHU.
- The Department of English conducted a workshop on ‘Online E-Courses’ through the online mode on the 15th February, 2023 for the students of 6th Semester English Honours.
- The Writers Club, Department of English, organised an In Conversation With programme series where students of the Department were given an opportunity to interact with luminaries of literature and art. The first guest for the series was Vancouver Shullai, winner of Wingword Poetry 2017, poet, songwriter and artist, held on the 20th March, 2023. The second guest for the series was Dr. Pynsuklin Syiemiong, Assistant Professor Department of English Sankardev College Shillong, Female lead vocalist of the indigenous fusion band Summersalt, held 27th April, 2023.
- The Writers Club, Department of English, organised A Poetry Evening- Spring Edition programme, in commemoration of World Poetry Day on 21.03.2023